Sunday, June 19, 2016

Artist Residency

I decided to dedicate a week of my month to an in-studio residency. Which means, instead of leaving my normal life and doing an on site residency, I decided to make this happen in my studio. I really wanted to focus on creating new work that could accommodate my schedule, which means short term and not right before or between shows. I took time to explore more intaglio print making at, BYO Print, and focused on exploring different techniques in enameling. 

I had a chance to work on a print that’s been my in sketch book for several weeks. II enjoy making copper plates because I feel it really relates to why I like creating jewelry and enameling - it’s heavily process oriented and a lot of technical information. I also had no idea how much work it is to make an intaglio print until I did it last year. I learned the bare minimum and there is so much more to learn. I also enjoying working back and forth between different techniques and the cross pollination that happens - how the ideas from one flow to the other and approaches for one media can cross to another. 

I worked on two specific ideas - dried flower corsages and the intaglio print that corresponds and the city week series, that focuses on studies of weeds found in the city and how lovely they can be, as weeds are often discarded instead of appreciated. Below are some shots from the week (and a little extra) that share what I’ve worked on and developed. I hope someday I have the opportunity to show both bodies of work - prints and jewelry - together.




First day! Prepped plates for intaglio, and various samples with different enameling techniques, as well as completed corsage brooches

Plates covered with hard ground and ready to be etched

first proof

second proof

final proof

 
First in the weeds series on it's way!








Incorporating the techniques in my body of work


Samples of the weeds intaglio with the city weeds prints






I'm glad I had the opportunity to do this and remember originally reading about it on Crafthaus. Thanks BYO Print for allowing me to be a part of the studio for a month! You can catch the work at several shows this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment